Want to earn some money this week? Want that money to keep coming in week after week? Read on!
Sometimes earning are right under your nose and, yet, so hard to see. So is the case here…
As last year came to a close, I came to the realization that I was spending WAY TOO MUCH on – are you ready for this? – groceries! You can see the details of that journey (and how I turned it around) here or on my blog at www.cashcrashblog.com. But that is not the subject of today’s post. No, today I wanted to share how that realization led me to find several other places where our budget was leaking (in some cases, pouring) money. In turn, there were some quick fixes I put in place that resulted in BIG SAVINGS. I wanted to pass on a few of those so you, too, can recoup an extra $100 this week!
- Use the Mail Order Pharmacy. I was always intrigued by the mail order option that my company’s health plan offered, but I figured it was just too, too convenient to pull up at the local drugstore. Then one day I sat down on the couch, with the family medicines on the coffee table, and picked up the phone. On four medications, were able to save $18 per week by switching to the mail order system. That’s over $900 a year! And, since they ship in three months supplies, it is actually more convenient than running to the drug store every month!
- Cut the Cable. Yes, you can! Invest in a Roku or a Firestick and cut that pricey cable. We gave it a trial run by not watching cable for three weeks and, when we were convinced that we could live without it, we cut our package and saved $54 a week!
- Negotiate Monthly Contracts. We have a monthly pest control contract with Orkin. By simply telling them we were thinking of other options, they reduced our expense from $99 every third month to $82, a savings of $17/3mos or roughly $1.40 a week. Next stop, our lawn service!
- Cell Phone. Stop by the cell phone store and see what new plans and options they may have. We were paying for unlimited data, and was able to switch to a limited plan that was more than sufficient. We also learned we stop the data on our teenager’s phone each month with the touch of a button, so, if we ever do get close to our limit, we can avoid going over. Savings on this tweak amounted to about $20 a week.
- Buy a Thermos. You can read more about this here, but the short of it is that when I invested in Quicken, I saw in graphic detail how much we were spending on sodas and fast food by going through the drive-through – over $1,400 a year! Now, I know there are times when you are on the road and have to make a stop, but if you even cut these in half, you will recoup hundreds of dollars! I stopped by Ross and picked up a few thermoses for about $5 a cup. That pays for itself by avoiding one trip to the drive through. Weekly savings for us amounted to over $20 a week.
If your doing the math, just those few tweaks to our lifestyle, saved us over $110 a week, close to $6,000 a year! That’s some serious cash!
What are you waiting on? Start this morning. Pick up the phone and call your health insurance pharmacy, buy a thermos, or negotiate your monthly contracts and pocket that money!
If you recognized some ideas that your family can use, then be sure to follow www.cashcrashblog.com for even more ways to save money and invest $2.99 pop over to Amazon Kindle to grab my book, How to Save Thousands on a Food Budget Lifestyle, so you can be in the know that’s on how to save significant money on groceries on top of that $100 a week you just scored!