Ditch the Deli!
Deli meat is expensive! And, it is loaded with salt and preservatives. As part of our Food Budget Lifestyle that has saved us thousands, we gave it up. At $6-$8 per pound, by the time we got done with the ham, turkey and salami, we had blown our weekly budget at the deli counter! But, without this easy go to, what was there to pack for lunch? Plenty! See this post on Lunches for Less or consider these five sandwiches that ditch the pricey, salt-laiden meat for some healthy alternatives that won’t break the bank!
- Roasted Red Pepper, Arugula, and Shaved Mozzarella on Sourdough – This delicious sandwich is great with either mayo, pesto, or a little olive oil. The key is the roasted red peppers which you can buy prepared or, if you are a bit more industrious, roast in a 450 degree oven on parchment paper (see how here). TIP: Shave the mozzarella to make the sandwich easier to handle.
- Hummous on Pita – Hummous is super easy to make and CHEAP! A can of garbanzo beans, some tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon, and a bit of paprika thrown in the food processor. It is full of protein and very healthy! If you’d like, throw on some sliced cucumbers and/or greens. Serve with sliced veggies.
- Peanut Butter and Raw, Local Honey on Whole Wheat– Instead of jelly, try this easy substitute for a healthy and easy alternative to a classic!
- Salad in a Pocket – This is a great way to get your veggies. See my post – How to Make the Perfect Salad that Won’t Let You Down here, and then scoop it into an open pita. Easy, peasy!
- Avocado, Lettuce, Tomato (ALT) – I love avocados! They are nutrient-dense and delicious! This sandwich is a great take on the standard BLT. You can find a detailed recipe for it here. Try this sandwich next time you are looking for something new to bring to work or pack for the kids.
Of course, if you have leftover turkey, ham, or pork, you have plenty on hand to make sandwiches. Don’t forget about some of the oldies but goodies, either – egg salad, tuna salad, or chicken salad are staples that make for quick and easy lunches. Be creative and you, too, will find there are plenty of alternatives to deli for Food Budget Lifestyle!
For more tips on saving money and eating well, see my book on Amazon Kindle here!