Homage to the Bayou State
Louisiana…Just the name of it conjures up all sorts of images. One of my favorite memories are those ancient live oak trees replete with Spanish moss hanging like lace fabric that has been tossed around the branches with abandon. Or, who can’t help but picture the jazz bands playing on Bourbon Street, the scents of different flavors permeating the heavy air so thick you can almost taste it. What about all the colors and characters of Mardi Gras? I could go on and on, but let’s get down to the business of food.
This week, I am dedicating my post to Louisiana, a state that holds a special place in my heart having lived on the North Shore of New Orleans for about six years. My husband and I grew to love the people, the places, and the flavors of the state and we have carried with us many of the recipes we learned while we were there. Some of those recipes are were taught to us from good friends and we don’t have them written down, but, I have found some replicas for these dishes so that you can try them with your family this week. Be sure to let me know how you like the dishes! You can always contact me through the blog! I love hearing from folks, so don’t hesitate to let me know if you are enjoying these weekly meal plans and how much money you are saving by planning your meals and following along!
- Sunday – Cajun Chicken Pasta, see recipe here
- Monday – Red Beans and Rice
- Tuesday – Muffalata Sandwich, while my husband makes his own version of the sandwich, I did find a basic recipe you can use here
- Wednesday – Leftover Night
- Thursday – Shrimp Po’Boys, see recipe here
- Friday – Emeril’s Jamabalaya, see the recipe here
- Saturday -Natchitoches Meat Pies, see the recipe here
Ingredients for the Recipes
- Sunday- On Hand: Chicken.
- Need: linguine, 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced, 1 small green bell pepper, 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, 2 green onions (white and light green parts only), sliced, 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Monday – On Hand: Red beans and rice, 1 lb. smoked sausage
- Tuesday – On Hand:That Pickle Guy Classic Olive Muffalata Mix.
- Need: Provolone, 1/2 pound ham, 1/2 pound salami, 1 large crusty round Italian loaf of bread
- Thursday – On Hand:, relish, Old Bay Seasoning, hot sauce, cornmeal and flour.
- Need: 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, deveined, 1 beefsteak tomato, lettuce, 1 lemon cut, Italian Hoagie Rolls
- Friday – On Hand: chicken, onions, and rice.
- Need: bell peppers, 1 pound smoked sausage
- Saturday – On Hand: 1 lb. ground beef, onion.
- Need: 1 lb. bulk pork sausage, 1 15 oz. pkg. store-bought refrigerated pie dough
BJ’s Basics Stock Up Trip: provolone 3 lb ($6.99), 1 gal. milk ($2,79), cereal ($4.99), 40 pack -water ($2.99), 6 bell peppers (assorted colors) ($6.88) -Total of About $25.00
Winn Dixie: 10 bottles Winn Dixie Brand soda (.79 ea.) – $7.90
Walmart: linguine ($1.08), 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms ($1.98), green onions (.58), 1/2 gallon half-and-half ($3.98), 1/2 lb. deli ham, 1/2 lb. deli hard salami, 2-12oz extra large shrimp ($6.68 each), 1 lemon (.50), 1 tomato ($1.58), lettuce ($1.48), 1 lb. pecan smoked sausage ($3.98), 1 lb. bulk pork sausage ($1.77), 1 15 oz. pkg. store-bought refrigerated pie dough ($2.26) – TOTAL FOR WALMART $52.70
1 large crusty round Italian loaf of bread ($3), 4 ct. Italian rolls.($2.98),
GRAND TOTAL -$ 92