A Taste of Thai
A few years ago we spent several wonderful days in Phuket, Thailand. It was the trip of a lifetime and, if I could ever go back, I’d jump a plane in a heartbeat, 24 hours of flights be damned!!! I’m not kidding…It may seem like hell getting there, but, like having children, you forget the pain as you are overcome with the joy of the reward once there! The people are amazing – kind, gracious, spiritual, witty, and friendly. The sights of water buffalo grazing in tall grasses, ornate temples with offerings laid out, and hidden waterfalls tucked in tropical forests. Oh, did I mention the elephants? The highlight of our trip was a trek through the jungle on the back of one such giant mammal, meandering throughout our little corner of southeast Asia and even venturing into a river to take a bath with our newfound giant friend. Yup, if you are planning an international trip, consider Thailand. The memories for a lifetime will leave you breathless!
But, wait, this is a food and grocery blog and I haven’t even begun to talk about the food. While, my husband was far more adventourous with his palette than I – even eating street food at the market, I stuck to more traditional fare and LOVED IT! This week, I thought I’d throw in a few Thai dishes to whet your appetite and introduce to this amazing part of the world that has left an indelible mark on my heart! Of course, as we started planning, we got a bit carried away and ended up with an entire week of Thai. That’s fine by me! I’m considering it a stay-cation!
(Did I mention this stay-cation is only costing about 88 bucks!)
- SUNDAY – Thai Turkey Lettuce Cups from Cooking Light, see recipe here
- MONDAY – Easy Pad Thai, see recipe here
- TUESDAY – Thai Corn and Crab Soup (see recipe below) with a side of rice
- WEDNESDAY – Leftover day
- THURSDAY- Thai Quinoa Salad with Fresh Herbs and Lime Vinaigrette here
- FRIDAY – Beef Satay with Rice
- SATURDAY – Thai Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk, from Allrecipe available here
Thai Corn and Crab Soup
from Perfect Thai (2006). Parragon Publishing. UK.
Double the recipe for leftovers
- 2T Vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 5 shallots, chopped finely
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped finely
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1 3/4 pints chicken stock
- 14 oz. coconut milk
- 8 oz. frozen corn kernels
- 12 oz. crabmeat, drained and shredded
- 2T fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1t light brown sugar
- fresh cilantro
Heat oil in large skillet and sauté the garlic, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the stock and coconut milk nad bring to a boil. Add the corn, reduce the heat, and let simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
Add the crabmeat, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar, and let simmer gently for 1 minute. Ladle into warmed bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Ingredients for the Recipes
- Sunday- On Hand: canola oil, reduced-sodium soy sauce,light brown sugar,rice vinegar. Need: 1 pound ground turkey, 12 butter or romaine lettuce leaves, 1 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber, 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots, 1/4 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Monday – On Hand: Kosher salt, lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, vegetable oil, eggs, minced garlic, Freshly ground black pepper, 2 green onions. Need: 8 oz. pad thai noodles, 1 bell pepper, 1 lb. shrimp, 1/2 c. roasted peanuts, chopped
- Tuesday – On Hand: ginger, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime juice, brown juice, cilantro, Need: 2- 14 oz. coconut milk, 10 shallots, lemongrass stalks (or can use dried), 2-12 oz. canned crab
- Thursday – On Hand:, Quinoa, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, vegetable oil, red pepper flakes, Need: English cucumber, 1 red pepper, matchstick carrots, scallions, chopped cilantro, chopped mint
- Friday – On Hand: Fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, vegetable oil, ground corriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, Need: fresh lemon grass, 2 lb. beef top sirloin, ginger root
- Saturday – On Hand: Vegetable oil, fish sauces, skinless, boneless chicken Need: 1 onion, 1 red bell pepper, 1 lemon, 1 c. light coconut milk, lemon juice, curry paste, cilantro
Costco Basics Stock Up Trip: 1 gal. milk ($2,79), cereal ($4.99), 6 bell peppers (assorted colors-red and green) ($6.48), 3-English cucumber ($3.98 ea), –Total of About $19
Winn Dixie: 10 bottles Winn Dixie Brand soda (.79 ea.) – $7.90
Walmart: 1 pound ground turkey ($1.98), Romaine lettuce leaves ($1.68), 2- matchstick-cut carrots ($1.96 ea), roasted unsalted peanuts ($2.48), fresh mint ($1.98), pad thai noodles ($2.18), 2- 14 oz. coconut milk (.92 ea.), 1 – light coconut milk ($1.88), 10 shallots ($3.56), 2-12 oz. canned crab ($1.88 ea. for 6 oz.), scallions (.58), cilantro (.98), 2 lb. beef top sirloin ($15.86), ginger root ($3.98), 1 lemon (.50), lemon juice (.88), 2-12 oz. shrimp ($5.54 ea.) TOTAL FOR WALMART $63.87
PUBLIX: lemongrass and curry paste TBD