Back to Basics
This week I thought I’d get back to basics with some mainstay recipes that take advantage of what is in my fridge, freezer, and pantry.
I know I’m a bit behind – this has been a crazy week and I just returned from a trip to Rhode Island for my grandmother’s 106 – yes, you read that correctly- birthday. Between the trip, the kids’ ACT tests, and a variety of other mishagosh, this week just seemed to get ahead of me. Never fear, though, we are back on track and rearing to go with some great recipes to get us through the coming week while staying on budget!
- SUNDAY – 15 Bean Hambeen’s Soup – For those of you who have followed me for awhile, you know that this is soup mix is an old standby and, true to form, I had a bag of it on hand in the pantry. It makes a great, comfort-food dish for a Sunday afternoon.
- MONDAY – Roasted Pork Loin – Another old standby. We typically buy a large pork loin at Costco and cut it into thirds or even fourths for the freezer, using it as we need it. see recipe here,
- TUESDAY – Chicken Breasts broiled with Herbs de Provence – Herbs de Provence is a staple that we keep on hand in our spice cabinet. It is a wonderful seasoning mix that includes a variety of tuscan spices such as dried lavender. I sprinkle it on chicken breasts for a healthy and delicious meal.
- WEDNESDAY – New Orleans Muffaletta Sandwiches, see recipe here.
- THURSDAY – Homemade Hamburgers & Air Fried Fries, All American -Always easy enough…why not give it a shot?
- FRIDAY – Homemade Pizza Night
- SATURDAY – Thai Turkey Lettuce Cups (This is a family favorite) see recipe here.
BJ’s Basics Stock Up Trip: provolone 3 lb ($6.99), 1 gal. milk ($2,79), cereal ($4.99), 40 pack -water ($2.99), 6 bell peppers (assorted colors) ($6.88) -Total of About $25.00
Winn Dixie: 10 bottles Winn Dixie Brand soda (.79 ea.) – $7.90
Walmart: Panko ($1.79) , Pepperoni, tomato sauce, coffee ($6.99), 2 – pizza dough ($2), turkey breast ($5.98), sweet potatoes ($2.78), boscoli olive salad (8.99), 1 lb.Genoa Salami ($5.98), 1 lb. Honey Ham (whatever’s on sale $6.48) 1/2 gallon half-and-half ($3.98), Ground Sirloin ($7.96), Hamburger Buns ($1.78)
1 large crusty round Italian loaf of bread ($3),
GRAND TOTAL -$ 90.00