I decided it was time to go on a diet. I’m not pleased with my clothing size and, more importantly (I suppose!) I need to lose to be healthy. I am putting myself on a very strict plan and, unfortunately for my family, they are coming along for the ride. After all, I’m the one who plans the meals each week, so I am in control of our caloric intake for the next few weeks.
Of course, this will mean more lean protein, low-fat and no-fat dairy products, whole grains, and lots of veggies. Oh, and there will be lots and lots of water!
- My breakfasts will consist of a complex carbohydrate, a 1/2 dairy serving, and a fruit. Today’s morning meal was oatmeal, coffee with skim milk (no more cream), and watermelon.
- The mid-morning snack allows for a serving of fruit (such as melon, apples, apricots, berries, or pears)
- Lunch allows for a complex carbohydrate, a veggie, and a dairy so today I had non-fat cottage cheese on toasted whole-wheat bread with lots of spicy arugula piled on.
- Dinner rewards you with a good portion of protein, a complex carbohydrate, and a veggie.
- Evening snack is a fruit and 1/2 dairy.
I don’t expect my whole family to be as regimented as I am – there will be some meals that I expect to prepare separately – but, I am going to try to plan meals that are high-protein and low fat. We all could stand to be a bit healthier!
- Turkey Wrap
- Chef Salad
- Tuna with non-fat mayo on whole wheat
- Cottage cheese, arugula, red onions, on a whole wheat wrap
- Non-fat american cheese on whole wheat toast with a side salad
- Saturday: Avocado-Shrimp Salad, melba toast – This recipe is a keeper! Delicious!
- Sunday – Dinner out (broiled fish for me!)
- Monday: Chicken Thighs sprinkled with seasoning, baked potato, and haricots verts with toasted almonds and carmelized shallots
- Tuesday: Balsamic Pork Roast Tenderloin, melba toast, and Charred Broccoli
- Wednesday: Flank steak with Cilantro and Onion Chimichurri, side of whole wheat pasta, and arugula with sliced tomatoes with low fat italian dressing. My husband created this flank steak recipe using no oil! He relied on minced garlic, cilantro, parsley, and beef broth. It was really good!
- Thursday:Grilled Shrimp with Garlic, bread sticks, zucchini spirals with spray butter and Mrs. Dash
- Friday: Chicken Breasts Dusted with Herbs de Provence, steamed broccoli, and Kasha
- Saturday: Whole wheat pasta tossed with shrimp, arugula, and cherry tomatoes – The fam can use olive oil and parmesan, I’ll use a bit of spray butter and some Mrs. Dash.
SHOPPING LIST FOR MEALS: 2 tomatoes (.60), lettuce ($2.98), 1 small sweet onion(.79), asparagus ($2.47), 4 sprigs fresh rosemary ($1.98), fresh thyme ($1.98), 2-24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined ($6.74), frozen broccoli, cod ($7.24), parsley (.98), fresh zuchinni spirals ($3.98). All other ingredients on hand.
SHOPPING LIST FOR LUNCHES: Solid white, tuna fish ($5.78 for four), 2 oz low sodium skinless cooked turkey breast ($3.48), fat free cheese, ($2.64) Mrs. Dash® ($2.94),
fat free mayonnaise – order online
SHOPPING LIST FOR BREAKFAST/LUNCHES: non-fat yogurt, Whole wheat diet bread, non-fat cottage cheese, assorted fruits (melons, apricots, berries), skim milk, eggs.